January 2017: Final EA and Decision Record Completed
The Bureau of Land Management Rawlins Field Office published its final Site-Specific Environmental Assessment for Phase I Wind Turbine Development and related decision documents on Jan. 18, 2017. The BLM determined that PCW’s site-specific plan of development for these components is approved and that the Phase I Wind Turbine Development “would have no significant effects beyond those already analyzed and disclosed” in the BLM’s 2012 Final Environmental Impact Statement.
- The Finding of No New Significant Impacts was signed Jan. 17, 2017, by Rawlins Field Office Manager Dennis Carpenter.
- The Decision Record was signed Jan. 17, 2017, by Janice M. Schneider, Assistant Secretary, Land and Minerals Management, U.S. Department of the Interior.
- Jan. 18: BLM news release announcing completed EA2
- Jan. 18: PCW news release announcing completed EA2
Site-Specific EA2 Document Archive
March 2016: Environmental Assessment Document Published
The Bureau of Land Management Rawlins Field Office published its Site-Specific Environmental Assessment document on March 9, 2016, addressing the CCSM Project’s Phase I wind turbine development (EA2). The EA is tiered to the project-wide Environmental Impact Statement, which was finalized and approved in 2012. This second EA includes a draft Finding of No New Significant Impact, determining that PCW’s site-specific plans of development for Phase I turbines comport with the overall EIS terms. (Learn more about the completed EA1 here.) The BLM hosted two informational meetings about EA2 for the public on March 28 in Saratoga and March 29 in Rawlins.
- March 9: BLM news release announcing EA2
- March 9: PCW news release announcing EA2
- March 28: BLM Announces 14-Day Comment Extension to April 22
- April 21: BLM announces 14-day comment extension to May 6
- Complete EA for Phase I Wind Turbine Development
- Map: All main Phase I facilities
- Map: How the turbine layout evolved to accommodate environmental data
December 2013: Public Scoping Meetings Held
The Bureau of Land Management Rawlins Field Office opened public scoping on Dec. 6, 2013, for a Site-Specific Environmental Assessment for Phase I Wind Turbine Development of the Chokecherry and Sierra Madre Wind Energy Project. This second EA will cover Power Company of Wyoming LLC’s plans of development for Phase I, which has 500 turbines, a road network and associated facilities. (Learn more about the first EA here.) The BLM also hosted two scoping meetings on Dec. 16 in Rawlins and Dec. 17 in Saratoga to provide further opportunities for the public to learn about and comment on Phase I of the project. The scoping period closed Jan. 14, 2014. Here are links to the BLM and PCW materials provided at the EA2 scoping meetings.
- Dec. 6 scoping announcement news release
- EA2 overview fact sheet
- EA2 scoping comment form
- Turbine layout maps
- Resource maps
- 3 NEPA process posters
Members of the media with inquiries about the TWE Project should contact , Director of Communications, 303.299.1395
Learn about the significant national strategic benefits the TWE Project is expected to provide.
Join our email list to receive periodic updates and meeting notifications.
Follow us on Twitter for updates.
In the news
"To accelerate the creation of a clean energy economy, we will double our capacity to generate alternative sources of energy like wind, solar and biofuels over the next three years. We'll begin to build a new electricity grid that lay down more than 3,000 miles of transmission lines to convey this new energy from coast to coast."
- President Barack Obama, weekly address, Jan. 24, 2009